Monday, October 4, 2010

SEOULmates

I don't have a ton of time to blog right now, but I just wanted to share some exciting news! I turned in my preliminary application to EPIK (English Program in Korea) and lo and behold, I found out that I'm eligible to teach in SEOUL (S. Korea's capital, and my number 1 pick of places I'd want to teach)! I'm terribly excited, because I thought I couldn't teach in Seoul, that it was literally a chance in a thousand that I'd get selected (since its the capital, they have higher expectations of the teachers there than in other parts of Korea, and I thought you could only do it if you majored in English or were an English teacher already). But it turns out my masters degree is more useful than I initially thought! Right now, I'm creating a lesson plan for English. I've lesson planned for history before but never English. And growing up with this stupid language, I'm a bit intimidated with the fact that I have to try and explain its stupidity to students. Thus, after much deliberation, I've finally decided to do a tesl program. Yeah its $200 out the window, but I feel like it'll do wonders for me. At least, I'm hoping it does haha.

3 comments:

  1. You might not need the tefl with your masters...and you have teaching experience, huh?? You are set! But I guess it would only help!

    Excited for you michelle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hurray! so what does this mean? that ultimately you are already accepted since you qualify? whats tesl?

    ReplyDelete
  3. not accepted yet. I qualify, yes, but my application needs to be formally looked over and I need to be interviewed because they'll place me. A lot of people fight for seoul, and are equally qualified, if not more. So we'll see. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed. :)

    ReplyDelete