Friday, October 15, 2010

The Pennsylvania Dutch

are fantastic people. They feed me deliciously here in Philly.

The nearby farmers' markets are always packed in with their produce and foodstuffs--its local, almost always organic, and so so tasty. There's just something about food from local farmers that can't compare with the stuff you buy in a typical grocery store. And you can absolutely tell the care that they put into the food they grow, and make---their baked goods are amazing.

Take this for example. It's a hot apple dumpling that I practically inhaled it was so good:

Flakey, and warm, slightly sweet and better than any apple pie.

and this, hands down was the BEST meal I've ever hand in Philadelphia:


Both courtesy of the Dutch Eating Place located in the Reading Terminal Market.

A simple Ruben sandwich with mashed potatoes, seems rather ordinary, but lemme tell you about the goodness that happens when simple food is done really really well. The bread was toasted and buttery, the corned beef as top notch, the sauerkraut and dressing were delish. I had an iced tea that was omg soo sweet, but fit in with the theme of the establishment.

At the Dutch Eating Place, they serve good comfort food. Real butter, grits, scrapple (which I wanted to try except Pork, so no go), hot sandwiches, eggs, pancakes, shepherds pie, the works. You sit dinner style on these stools and countertops & the people who work there are so incredibly nice.

If you're ever in Philadelphia its definitely worth the visit, and Reading Terminal Market is a treat as well.

Dutch Eating Place
at the Reading Terminal Market
1200 Arch
Philadelphia, PA 19102

6 comments:

  1. OMG every time I go to Philly I stop by the Reading Terminal and eat there! My roommate and I call it "The Amish Heart Attack," but it's soooo worth it!!!! The other place we go to all the time is Vietnam Palace. I love that place.

    Thanks for adding me to your links! I did the same as well. I love reading your blog, and the icing on the cake is that you, like Ashley, is from California. We SoCal girls gotta stick together. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hurray California & especially SoCal! :) I haven't been to Vietnam Palace but I'll add it to my list of places to eat before I leave here--I'm heading back to the sunny shores of CA in about 2 weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely eat at Vietnam Palace. It's really really good. My roommate and I lament how there are no good Vietnamese restaurants here in DC and without fail, whenever we watch a hockey game, we go there to eat right before. We're addicted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're making me hungry! why didn't you happen upon this place before we came! (: looks so yummmmerrs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @tiff oh we were right next to it...but I think we went there when they were closing so thats why lol.

    @jane it's on the list! I'll let you know how I liked it :)

    ReplyDelete