Monday, October 11, 2010

Korean Variety Shows

These are pure crack. Or what I think crack would be like haha.

Korean Variety Shows- I'm not sure that we quite have an equivalent in American culture. They're not quite reality shows, not quite scripted dramas, not quite like talk shows, but something in the middle. These are pure entertainment gems. Sometimes they take the form of game shows/competition shows, sometimes they take the form of a talent/interview show, but I find the more interesting ones sometimes the show has a premise--let's clarify (with english subtitles, for enjoyment!):

1) Star King - talent competition/interview

^Yes, that's Charice Pempenco, Pride of the Philippines and most recent cast member on "Glee," circa 2007. Before she got discovered by Ellen and Oprah, she was on this Korean show. Clips of Charice performing on Star King were put up on the internet, and caught on like wild-fire, producing a flight to the US to meet with Ellen & Oprah, and the rest is history. Three years later, she returned to the show to sing again. She pwns another kpop idol (seriously the girl ended up crying) in singing Whitney Houston's "One Moment in Time" @ 14:00 but her singing that song ALWAYS gives me goosebumps:


2) Family Outing - premised show
Hands down my favorite variety show to watch. Season 1 that is, there was a season 2 that sucked so bad (change of cast members) that it was canceled so fast no one likes to even think that there was a season 2. But man, I miss this show.

The premise is this: each week, the "family" (regular cast members) go to different parts of Korea (usually not big cities) and take over a halmoni's (grandmother) home for a weekend. the Halmoni is sent off for a nice weekend vacation. The family members then take care of the house, and do the chores for the halmoni. The great part about the show is that it showcases traditional Korea--they go to "provincial" areas to do tasks that everyday people in that part of Korea do for work. That is, they go dig up mud flats to find octopus, they go out on boats to kelp/seaweed farms to "harvest," they hang and dry squid out on lines by the ocean, the snorkel for fresh albalone, or they help train dogs that are native to Korea. You really get to see a different side of Korea--from the traditional homes they visit, to traditional garments the halmoni usually wears (hanbok), to a sort of rural lifestyle that still thrives in areas outside of Seoul and Busan.

Hilarity ensues with every episode as the normal "family" welcomes new members (guests--usually idols) and together they do everything from catch their meals, perform chores, and hold games.

^TOP from Big Bang is the visiting member. Another member from Big Bang (Daesung) is a regular on the show.


^two teams: one is making breakfast but failing & the other is going to harvest 5 colored rice and make rice cakes for the grandmothers.

3. We Got Married - premised show
I really shouldn't like this show as much as I do, but like I said, it's like crack. The premise of this show is for two idols (see the idol fascination Korea has?) to have a fake marriage. That's right, I wasn't kidding when i said I shouldn't like this show as much as I do. The couple get together to record them doing activities/dates and they even get an apartment to live in. It's like all the benefits of having a boyfriend but with none of the drama (hence it's appeal to me haha).

But the real reason why I like to watch it is because it's a fantastic social experiment. The people who join the show know that their "marriage" is fake--that ultimately everything between them is just for show--and yet, people can't completely distance themselves from developing some sort of intimacy with someone they've been exposed to for a period of time, especially if you have to call them wife/husband. Plus, my favorite couple on the show (theres 3) are so darn cute/fun to watch.



^ah, I didn't used to like him, but Nichkhun is so cute.



4. 2NE1 tv- reality show

Seriously cant do a kpop blog with the boys or the girls. While I had heard 2ne1's song before, watching their reality show is what made me like the girls and thus began my addiction to kpop.

^the girls leave Korea to come to LA to record songs for their upcoming English Album--with Black Eyed Peas member/producer Will.I.Am. The song they recorded in this ep sounds so siick. I'm so excited for this, its not even funny. Also, they eat in-n-out, shop on rodeo drive, and kick it with designer Jeremy Scott. So envious.





next post: Korean Dramas! :)

2 comments:

  1. hahaha! we actually have those same variety shows in chinese. except i can't STAND them! i used to watch them when i was younger because my mom would watch them, and i remembered it like being tortured lol. sometimes they are so cheesy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whaaaat. I freaking LOVE these. I laugh so much ahahahaha okay true they can be cheesy, but I think I try to stay to ones that are more interesting than lame/stupid/super cheesy. I hope so at least.

    ReplyDelete