Wednesday, October 6, 2010

EPIK/TESL/SMOE and other Korea things

For those of you who have been wondering:

EPIK
- English Program in Korea they are the people in charge of placing english teachers all around korea. They are the ones who hold all the power.

SMOE- Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education is an offshoot of EPIK. They deal specifically with teachers in Seoul, South Korea's capital. You have to be more qualified to teach in Seoul, and it's more competitive, but I figure it couldn't hurt to try.

TESL- to be TESL certified, or Teacher of English as a Second Language just means that I'd be certified to teach english to students who live in a country where english isn't a main language.

Sometimes I can't wrap my head around the fact that I'm actually applying to teach in Korea, and that in a few short months there is a huge possibility that I'd be standing in front of a classroom in South Korea--maybe in Seoul of all places!--filled with Korean students, teaching English. It really is mind blowing. But I'm terribly excited about the prospect that it could actually happen. Whenever I complete another step, move just a bit further towards that goal, I'm filled with what can only be described as pure joy and excitement. In those moments, I can hardly contain my happiness, and I end up dancing around in my room (naturally, to kpop), unconcerned that I may be disturbing the neighbors downstairs.

So, just where am I in the application process? Well, all my paperwork as been submitted for the initial application (we must submit twice). I should be expecting a call from Korea any moment now for a phone interview. I'm a bit nervous about this, to be honest. I don't know what they'll ask me. Usually, in situations like this, I have some idea of what to expect from the interview, or at least, I have an idea of what the interviewer wants to hear. But I'm really clueless this time. The interview is supposed to last something like 45 minutes. That's a lot of BSing time. I don't know if I'm up to the challenge.

Additionally, I decided to go ahead at get tesl certified. I started the program today, and it's been interesting to say the least. I've completed 4 units thus far, and there's been some really helpful tips, some things I disagree with, and other things which were pointless--for me, that is. I'm sure they are plenty helpful to others. It's really interesting to see english grammar explained in english. I only really know english grammar through latin, so it's nice to see english explained in english terms, if that makes sense. A concept may be the same and work the same in english and in latin, but its nice to know what english calls the concept, instead of how latin explains it. Because the last thing I want to do is teach english through a latin filter to korean students. So I'm trying to side step that whole problem by going through this tesl program. I want to see if I can get one more unit in tonight. Maybe not the best thing (they only want you to do 2 units/day) but what can I say, I'm excited.

A good friend once told me that when I get excited about something, I tend to throw myself into it. I guess that's what I'm doing now.

For the moment, my korean learning has abated somewhat. Learning hangul can be such a bore because I just want to SAY things! It'll probably continue to be put on the back burners while I get my tesl lessons in, which I know isn't the best thing for learning a new language, but hey, if I keep watching korean dramas and television shows, at least I'm auditory learning, right?

1 comment:

  1. That's cool that korea has a placement board to go through...I would like that for Turkey. Then they would do the work!

    Since you have teaching experience, I wouldn't worry too much about the interview. I bet you'll rock it :)

    ReplyDelete