Sunday, January 25, 2009

Occupation: Student

After denying my existence as a student for the past 6 weeks, school has started and I'm slowly getting back into the routine. I got new school supplies, went to my first day of school, and even got my books. More than anything, I think, finally getting my books made me feel like a student again. I love the feeling of new books, and the smell of old ones. yeah, I'm a book smeller, so sue me.

The only problem is that I'm still not even sure what classes I'm going to take. I'm signed up for two so far, a seminar course and a independent study, both with my thesis advisor. both of which will be hard work, and one will be taking me closer to finishing the pesky thing called a thesis. the other class that I'm debating is my Italian course. I went to the first class meeting, and I felt how much I just.did.not.know. The instructor is this super nice lady, RosaMaria, who is authentically Italian--she's expressive in every sense of the word. And there's all different levels of students there, so I dont feel absolutely dumb, but I knew I should have brushed up on some vocab or something before I got there. She really values class participation, and while I'm not at all against participating, I found that I couldn't, simply because I had no words. Couldn't think up any adjectives, couldn't really remember proper sentence structure or even verbs. Super fail! So on top of re-teaching myself some Italian, I have to keep a vocabulary journal, I have to do an Italian presentation, and even that workbook that they make you do whenever you take a language class--that dreaded workbook, the mindless work, the workbook I loathe. All of this, and for what? I absolutely do not need this class. But then again, I have an opportunity to enrich myself, so why shouldn't I take it? Then again, it's Italian. Apart from speaking it in Italy, I wont use anything I learned once the class is over, and I will forget it all over again.

On the other hand, I could audit latin this semester. I like latin, its always been good to me, and for all the effort I put into it, I absolutely do not want to forget it. that being said, it'll be a combined class again, and auditing wont actually force me to do the work if I don't show up everyday. so the effectiveness of taking another latin course diminishes greatly.

To be honest, if I had my choice of taking any language course, it would be french. I know that I've said in the past that I've hated it and how horrible I am in it. But perhaps, just for those reasons, I'd want to get better because it does sound beautiful. Too bad none of the classes fit in with my schedule (or maybe I'm too scared to take it?)..

On another hand, I could audit the classical drama course. I always heard that it was a really great class to take, but I just never had room for it in my schedule as an undergrad. so why not take it now?

I got to get it together. School again on monday & I need to figure this out before the hw starts to pile up.

Tomorrow: miramar lake and dinner with the girls @ balboa park. hopefully it doesn't rain because our reservations are for outside dining!!!

2 comments:

  1. I finally got the Target boots. The brown kinsey ones in the mail after like 10 weeks of waiting for them and they turned out to be a total disappointment. They're way too big in the calves area. too bad, so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to relearn italian as well my last semester at state.

    As much as I love that language, I'd tell you to take another class. The time you will have to take to remember what you've forgotten will set you behind in all the new stuff you'll be learning. Does that make sense? haha.

    Basically, if you're up for the challenge, go for it! Then again, I think you are better at languages than me :)

    ReplyDelete