Saturday, January 3, 2009

2009.

this time of year i'm always in retrospective mode. every once in a while, its good to take a good look at my life to see whats working, whats not, and what I can improve on. for me, 2008 was all about learning experiences: learning balance and knowing my limits. so what's in store for the new year? I feel like 2009 will be a time of good change for my life, so i'm pretty damn excited.

the year has started out pretty well: new years eve was better and more fun than i expected, since on NYE i still had no idea what i would be doing that night. we started out at the girls' house party in pq--I always wonder why they put in so much effort for other people. it looked nice though, good job nessa and rach! we got there a little late (but still early bc no one we knew was there yet!) and had to leave even earlier so i didnt spend a lot of time with the girls, but at least i got to see them all before heading out to HOB. I even got to "carry" baby mason for the first time on wednesday night--hold him in his baby carrier that is! haha trust me, no one wants me holding their newborn baby. i'd be worse than nessa, who looks like this:


on friday was juices birthday (25?! holy cow!) and the whole day he was bumming bc hes old now haha. the morning started off hectic bc i said i would make his family brunch (his family is freaking huge through!). so I got up bright and early to start cooking: corned beef hash with poached eggs and hollandaise, crustless spinach quiche, blueberry cream cheese muffins, peach cream tart, and my favorite, peach and strawberry bellinis! it was a lot of work but i think (most) things turned out ok--except for the stupid hollandaise. i had a bad experience once when i tried to make it from scratch, and so i bought the powder packets to make sure that it would turn out perfect, except it turned out even worse than before!! one day, i will make good hollandaise. thats my resolution for 2009 hahaha. there were casualities, however, in making brunch: my two thumbs. I lost a good chunk from peeling potatoes (it was a brand new peeler too!) and the other i sliced on the rim of a can i had just opened. i never knew how much i depend on my thumbs until now when i have lost range of motion =(

lastly, i should mention that i've decided to give school a break. i'm not going to pressure myself into trying to finish by the end of spring, and will stay an extra semester. i'm much more comfortable in that decision bc it will give me breathing room to take my classes, and realistically speaking, theres just no way i could finish in time. im a little upset bc i spent so much time and money on taking the GRE and getting transcripts and recs etc etc etc that now mean nothing. but whatever, I can have a life experience while i'm trying to get my shit together. who knows, maybe that means I can finally go abroad for a semester!!

I'm sending out internship applications NOW to get a head start. I'm looking outside of san diego this time, bc the opportunities here are scare and highly competitive. a big part of me is aching for a change of pace and a change of scenery so I'm looking at this as the prime time to make a change for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment