Friday, November 21, 2008

*shame*

I should preface this post by saying that I've enjoyed this semester of school immensely, and that it has probably been my favorite since I started the MA program--fewer languages, fewer classes, more focus on thesis, etc. And I really enjoy my seminar course since its the only class I'm taking this semester where I get to engage with my fellow peers, and get to see how they progress and struggle through the same process that I am currently in. we are bonded in the struggle lol.

anyway, I'm very happy to study antiquity. I've been engaged with my sources and my research for quite some time, and before that, I was always looking to the past as a subject of interest and study. and although every field of history is unique, with its own complications and limitations, I can't help but feel that antiquity and pre-modern history is so completely different, and to a certain extent more difficult, than modern history. but I thought I had a happy medium where I lived in the modern world with all its problems and complexities, and yet could transition to the ancient world. I've only recently discovered, however, how unattached I am to the events and conflicts of today, globally, and how one sided I've been. This was, in part, due to that previously mentioned seminar class. I sat in class, feeling the shame that could only be mine for my own ignorance and conceit. thus shamed. shamed. for shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment