Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Loneliest Man in the World.

I've recently started studying at a starbucks that is by my house because it's relatively quite and doesn't experience the lunch rushes that panera does, and no, I won't tell you which one because you'll go there and kill the quite study atmosphere. but right next to it is a french eatery that I have frequented in the past. Well, last time I was at starbucks, I noticed that the inside of the french place was completely remodeled and that they upped the classy level to a really cute restaurant (as opposed to cafe). But it was absolutely dead inside, except for the one waiter/host/owner(?). I first noticed him eating what I can only suppose was an elegant meal that he was enjoying, by himself, with a lovely glass of white wine. Later, I saw him fixing the linens on the tables outside. Finally, on my way home, I looked into the well-lit french restaurant and saw the image of the loneliest man in the world. He was sitting on a bar stool, just peering into the darkness outside, completely alone. In all of that time, I don't believe there was a single soul who walked into that restaurant. And I wondered if he even had a cook or chef to keep him company. As I walked to my car, I couldn't shake the haunting thought that he looked like the loneliest man in the world from my head.

Today, however, I realized why. I tried to call in a salad order to this place earlier today for lunch. There wasn't an answer which struck me as odd considering how dead I saw the place and wouldn't they run to pick up the phone for an order? But later I went to study at starbucks again, and I realized that the reason why it looked different, why no on answered the phone, and why no one went into the restaurant, was because the previous cafe was bought out and replaced my the loneliest man in the world's restaurant. Today, in fact, was their grand opening! The sign of the cafe hasn't been taken down yet, which led me to believe that they were still one and the same. And I was glad to see some people walking to the new restaurant. It made me think that the loneliest man in the world would not have to spend another night in an empty restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment