Sunday, August 22, 2010

Day 4: A Picutre of where you went today

I fell asleep before I could post this yesterday, but here:

Philadelphia has its own version of Chinatown (but much, much smaller than the SF/ NYC variety). Pictured above is the Friendship Gate. I wikied it and it was a pretty interesting read, and I will include only a short tidbit for it:

The Chinatown Friendship Gate...is an internationally known landmark and a symbol of cultural exchange and friendship between Philadelphia and its Sister City, Tianjin, China. The Gate is part of the Port Agreement signed in Tianjin, China on November 11, 1982...

The Gate is the first authentic Chinese Gate built in America by artisans from China. Weighing in at approximately 88 tons and standing 40-feet high, the Gate's bright colors and elaborate design reflect traditional ancient color combinations used in early Chinese imperial construction. Themes of mythical creatures and graphic patterns typical to Ming and Qing Dynasties were used. A procession of mythical animals is featured on tiles, each with its own significance: the phoenix ensures good luck, and the dragon, with the magical power retaining water in its mouth, protects the structure of the Gate and the community from Fire.

I went to chinatown to eat dim sum. The place we went was busy & delicious, but unfortunately we were stuck in a table at the back--behind large parties--so I literally had to fetch our food from the carts! I was just glad to be eating what is probably my favorite thing to go out and eat. nom nom nom.

More pics of the gate:


2 comments:

  1. it's funny that there are SO MANY china towns. There was also one in Victoria, British Columbia. But I guess it makes sense...haha. There ARE a lot of Chinese people!

    ReplyDelete