Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Food Review: CRAFT, Los Angeles

CRAFT, Lost Angeles
10100 Constellation Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90067-4604
of Tom Colicchio, from Top Chef notoriety.

First off, the location of the restaurant is really cool. Located in what can easily be described as a high-end business park, it is surrounded by gorgeous, modern buildings.

CRAFT is on the other side of the Los Angeles Creative Artists building (front) and the two towers in the back.

I can not emphasize how handsome the place was. Modern, sleek, and clean, but not at all impersonal or cold. It was refined, cozy, and warm. Lovely.



I wished I had pictures. But I didn't want to be that girl. So I hope the following description suffices.

Amuse Bouche: bone marrow gelee served on spoons straight out of the Matrix.
I personally liked this. It tasted fatty and there was an instense beef flavor like sucking on a beef boullion but in gel form. I guess, however, that other guests were not fans of this amuse bouche, so they brought out another one.

Amuse Bouche #2: avocado parfait.
smoothest avocado cream + fruity olive oil + cherry tomato + slice of jalepeno + kernel of popcorn. I took out the jalepeno, but I really enjoyed the silkiness and citrus of this amuse.

Appetizer: Oysters on the half-shell.
served on ice with lemon + cocktail sauce + another sauce I can't remember.
We ordered 1 of each kind oyster on the menu (a total of four). we could not remember which oyster was which, but one in particular that I had was especially delicious. I think it was the Hama Hama Oyster from Washington. It preferred the oysters with just some lemon and could have done without the sauces.

Main Courses:
Mine: Squab. First time having squab and it was nicely prepared. I always prefer dark meat, and it was quite delicious. served with the best poached pears I've ever had ever. Those pears are something that I want at my last meal.
Orange: 35 day dry-aged Sirloin Steak. I can't comment on this because I didn't eat even a bit of this. But it was huge and came served with its fatty marrow (again).

Side Dishes:
Roasted Market Cauliflower. All different varieties, white, purple and yellow with a bit of crisp from the roasting. yummy.
Oyster Mushrooms. The best mushrooms I've ever had hands down. So buttery and tender and not at all tough or overdone. so simple and yet so, so good.

Desserts:
we had ordered Ricotta Cheesecake. Light and creamy but not too sweet or dense. It came deconstructed with a creme fraiche streak and shortbread crumbles. I'm a big fan. however, before this came out, they brought out a Pre-Dessert, Dessert: vanilla panacotta with shortbread crumbles and strawberries. It was a delightful surprise and I enjoyed every bite. And then, after the Ricotta Cheesecake, they brought out a Post-Dessert, Dessert: cookies and caramel corn. Again another lovely surprise. I didn't have the caramel corn as I am, in general, not a big fan of it, but the chocolate chip cookie was made with bittersweet chocolate that was almost too good to be true. But my favorite was the pine nut and rosemary cookie. I love me some rosemary cookies and was so happy that they were serving them. Not your traditional cookie, but that is what I love about them.

To go:
Yes, they even gave us a parting gift! They brought out packets of homemade granola which was yummy this morning. Pumpkin seeds, honey, nuts, and oats. so good with some greek yogurt.

Wine:
A bottle of
Rozak. I have to say that I really liked this wine. I'm not a big red wine drinker, but this was light enough and fruity enough and I found myself really enjoying it.

Service:
Everyone, from the hostess to the Sommelier, to all of the servers were so attentive and friendly. My water glass was constantly refilled. Almost immediately after dishes were clear (in a timely manner), silverware and plates were reset for the next course. Everyone was so professional and knowledgeable.

One of the best nights of eating I've had ever. One of the best dining experiences I've ever had. I simply can not stop raving about CRAFT. It's American food, its fresh and seasonal, it doesn't try to do anything more than bring you simple food well-prepared. So keep your deconstructions, your foams, and you fusions. There's something to be said about doing real food, really really well. Thank you Chef Colicchio!

2 comments:

  1. lol no its just that I get really excited about food haha and I've done food reviews on here before.

    ReplyDelete