Wednesday, February 24, 2010

year of the tigre

I had a great picture of dragons from when I went to the Chinese New Year celebration this past sunday saved on my phone that I was going to post up here... but somehow it got deleted! so sad. The one above is a picture of a red envelope I hung up on my desk that has my name written in Chinese characters--at least, I think it says my name. It should say my name haha. Can anyone confirm this for me??

Even though I'm of a kind of asian (or something) that technically doesn't celebrate the Lunar New Year, I had great fun spending the day with my friends Tiffany and Jazmine eating and causing trouble. Just kidding about the causing trouble part ;) It's funny, now that I'm older (old?) I feel like getting to know more about asian culture. Any one who knows me knows that I'm pretty much a eurocentric kind of girl, and in particular a greco-roman kind of girl, and am pretty much ignorant about this part of the world. So I'm trying. And it's fun! I feel like I'm meeting up with an old friend, or maybe a long lost friend.

And yes, I know that this post is framed around the Lunar New Year, and that I shouldn't just group really complex cultures under the title "Asian", but I think for this purpose it works. The distinction I'm making is the eastern part of eurasia--the non european part. Call it part of my social conditioning, call it part of being filipino-american, but I never really explored anything about the culture of asian communities. You could also chalk it up to me taking it for granted that I'm partially inclusion in this larger network [the issues at hand in being filipino/ filipino-american warrant their own separate post...I mean, are filipino people "asian"?) In any case, I'm learning a lot and appreciating more and am filled with such desire to travel there. While I had a vague awareness of the merits of civilizations outside of the european consciousness, it is only recently that I'm appreciating it.

Since I had a blog picture fail, I'll just post this one from google images that resembled the one I had taken:

currently listening to: Fallin Out- Keisha Cole

1 comment: