Monday, February 22, 2010

wanted: a good man

someone please date me. haha does that sound too desperate?

As much as I go on and on about not believing in soulmates, I still believe in the idea of love. And I particularly believe in love when I see it in other people. Like, for instance, on valentines day when I was at the store and saw this much older man buying a bouquet of flowers for his dear wife. The image of him, standing in line with his buttoned up shirt and slacks that I imagined was his outfit of choice for the last 40 years or so, holding a lovely bouquet of flowers, I broke into a smile. How lucky is she, I thought. How lucky are they both.

And I know it's my own fault for watching too many romantic comedies, and for reading way too much Austen, but I really just want someone to date me! To be clear, I'm not looking for a boyfriend. I just want to go on dates haha. Maybe I just want someone new to meet. Maybe I want to be wined and dined (<--yes!). All the more better if the date in question was someone funny and kind and witty and driven. Even more points if he resembled a one Fitzwilliam Darcy. Honestly, isn't the best part of a relationship the beginning away? When the two of you are just getting to know each other, but don't know enough yet to really be annoyed? When there isn't anything to fight about except what movie to watch at night. Wait, that line seems familiar. Is that from a movie? It feels like it. haha someone tell me where that's from. You've Got Mail perhaps? :) But what I was trying to say is the beginning of a relationship is the most fun, most exciting time, right? I mean, we're even biologically programed to think so. Someone once told me that when you start dating someone, your body releases a chemical that increases all the sensations associated with liking someone--commonly known as "butterflies." But after 6-8 months, your body stops producing the chemical, and that's why people usually break up after a year. Wait, where was I going with this now that I've just crushed the feel-good mood I was trying to establish with this post? Oh yes, uh, the chemical reaction is just another reason why the beginning is the best. So yes, I want someone to date me. But let's be clear, I have standards. As a reference see Fitzwilliam Darcy. =)

(Dedicated to Ms. Ashley who forced me to post something worthwhile)

6 comments:

  1. hahaha.

    You always post something worthwhile :)

    Yeah, I'd like to be wined and dined too. Not gonna lie bout that. Especially if it is by a Darcy-in-the-making.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how do you know he wasnt buying the flowers for his mistress?

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha sone I was thinking that too. Like in that one twisted Amelie movie, where you see the events taking place from her perspective, and its a loving relationship. But then you see it from his perspective--aka reality--and he doesn't even know her.

    creeeeeeepy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my other part didnt get posted? i wrote that the chemical- dopamine- is increased both with infatuation/"love" and cocaine use...

    ReplyDelete
  5. instead of falling in love more people should just use cocaine.




    I'm CLEARLY not being serious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE YOUR PROFILE PIC!!! OH MY GOSH!

    ReplyDelete