Thursday, February 4, 2010

for the love of KPOP!

confession: I LOVE korean pop music (affectionately called KPOP). I know what you all are thinking, just how did I get into kpop, and why would I like it when I can't understand a lick of what is being said. Well, I've been a listening to kpop for awhile, and, it's just super catchy...it IS pop music afterall. And making up my own words is half the fun! hmm... maybe it's best explained through specific examples of my favorite groups.

1. BIG BANG
Daesung, G-dragon, Seungri, TOP, Taeyang
I just adore these boys! so cute and funny and can do no wrong. I can appreciate the fact that they just look like they are loving every moment of doing what they do. Some engrish skills...they have japanese songs that are in english heyyy. They are just so darn charismatic. And come on, we all know the soft spot I carry around for boybands. And, in a bizarre sense, they kind of remind me of nsync back when nsync was still fresh and fun. Undoubtedly the biggest group in Korea at the moment, they all bring something unique to the group. And I appreciate that while they all have their own solo projects, they remain dedicated to the group [gosh JUSTIN!]


2. 2NE1
Minzy, Dara, CL, Bom
How could I not love a group that was called the "Female Big Bang" from the start? Like their male counterparts, they are fresh and fun and got so much swagger it is not even funny. Love Park Bom, I wish we were friends. I have to give credit where it is due: these girls, and this song in particular, were what caught me and brought be into kpop. So thanks 2ne1 =)


3. 2AM
Jinwoon, Jo Kwon, Seulong, Changmin
While they sometimes get overshadowed by their counterparts, 2PM, I like this group not only because they've got some mad ballad skillz yo, but their leader, Jo Kwon, has got to be the most fabulous character on the scene. Flamboyant to be sure, but when it counts, he belts out ballads like its nobody's business. And I love him and Ga-in on the variety show, "We Got Married." 2AM makes me long for the return of the great r&b groups!


4. Wondergirls
Yubin, Sohee, Sunmi, Sunye, Yenny
Their songs are just so darn catchy-- hear "Nobody" on the radio once and it's stuck in your head the whole day! I have to give them credit for trying to break into the American music market and thus far, doing a pretty good job. They all seem like nice girls with talent to boot (except for maybe sohee, who I just could never grow to like). I don't know what is going to happen now that one of the 5 girls has decided to leave the group--think Ginger spice leaving the spice girls-- but if it is anything like what happened to the S.G. then it doesn't bode to well for the Wondergirls.


Big Bang and 2ne1 together? Yes please!!

2 comments:

  1. me love kpop too! ever since middle school :) 2NE1 is awesome. DARA or sandara park was big in the philippines. saw her on those variety shows and some of her movies. kinda weird but i like her better singing :) i love korean soaps too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG sheena!! I LOVE korean dramas too! we. must. talk =)

    ReplyDelete