Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Seattle: Food Review & Other Things

I've been sitting on this post for days and days now, debating on whether it was even worth it to blog about eats in Seattle when I have like 1 picture to show for it. Food isn't nearly as interesting to read about if you cant see it. My solution? A list of eateries described in brief, broken down by meal type and conveniently linked for your perusal. And here we go...

Breakfasts
- Specialty's Cafe and Bakery: Huge kitchens, the comforting smell of something baking, the warmth of ovens burning never ever fails. Quality food, decent prices, and everything made in house. Mini-quiches are excellent, scones were a bit on the dry side for me, but their muffins/cookies looked divine.
-University District Farmer's Market: I'm putting this down under 'breakfast' but the goodies bought here could last you all day. A feast for the senses: vibrant colors of the fresh cut flowers (peonies!), the sounds of street performers singing and playing instruments, so many great stalls, good prices, and most importantly great eats. Some things I didn't even know what I was eating, but it all looked/tasted so good that I didn't even care lol. Notable mention: the truffle stand had me with salted caramels and the white chocolate green tea truffles. yeah, I dont need to say anymore.
-The Crumpet Shop: See previously posted picture. These crumpets are similar to an english muffin, but like, upgraded version. They come sweet or savory: nutella smeared on top, or with fresh ricotta/tomato/pesto, or made into open faced sandwiches with eggs. The shop is cute and cozy, and the staff was so friendly, even on a busy saturday morning. The fresh lemonade is made on the spot, right in front of you with a hand juicer and fresh lemons. A step away from Pike Place Market, its a jewel amongst the endless shops/eateries threatening to overwhelm the visitor.

Tea
-Remedy Teas: Featuring 150 organic teas in periodic table-like form, I was in tea heaven. They have vials where you can smell all 150 varieties, from black, green, rooibos, herbal, oolong and whites (I did this, and it took me a while). I was bold and tried the Creme Earl Grey (trust me, I was very bold as I usually HATE Earl Grey), and enjoyed the smell of most of the rooibos and black varieties of tea. I also ordered the cucumber and also the radish tea sandwiches. I enjoyed the cucumber ones so much more, sometimes you just cant beat the basics. All in all, super cozy, unpretentious and dedicated to good tea.

Desserts
- Trophy Cupcakes: See previous picture of "red velvet cupcake at night" as I like to call it haha. I adore everything about Trophy Cupcakes--their location (the CHARMING neighborhood of Wallingford, where real people live and eat; in a red building that used to be a school), to their shop (whites and soft blues and everything endlessly cute), to the flavors (red velvets, cafe au lait, snickerdoodle, chocolate graham cracker, need I go on?). I wished I could have stayed in Seattle if only to warrant trying out more of these little cakes of perfection.

As for the other things, I suppose it's really just one other thing: Elliot Bay Book Company. If I lived in Seattle I would frequent this book store all the time. Not only is it bursting with books amongst exposed brick walls, and dizzying levels of literary bliss, theres even a cafe with good eats below! This is the sort of bookstore that you dont see very much anymore: the old wooden floors that creak with well loved use, the musty smell of something old and lived in, the huge wall of staff recommendations, the used book section, the rare book collection, their selection of good quality, signature bound, blank writing books. Elliot Bay is like some sort of heaven for the avid, or not so avid, reader.

2 comments:

  1. Behind the seams girl is using Dear Vienna by Owl City.

    ReplyDelete
  2. question: What was the reason for the Seattle trip? Just a vacation? Or were you visiting someone?

    ReplyDelete