Friday, April 3, 2009

A Modern Barrel Man?

If your filipino then this will be extremely funny to you. if not, then I hope you can still appreciate this story.

Oj and I finally went to the Pinkberry in CM to get some green tea yogurt with mochi and kiwi--best combo everrrr! and while waiting for these delicious concoctions, we check out their rather interesting display of retail items. Amongst the candy colored and eccentric toys--or what at first seem like toys but turn out to be everything from salt and pepper shakers on a stick, to toothpick holders--I found a modern barrel man.

Now, for those of you who are unfamiliar with 
the barrel man, he is best explained in pictures:
On the outside, he looks like a regular wooden man in a barrel.
But take him out of the barrel, and you get this:
Thats right, a naked man at...um, attention. Now, I have no idea where this originated, or why they are so prominent in the subculture of the philippines, but they are. they're as recognizable as the overized fork and spoon that hang in the dinning rooms in filipino households.

Anyway, look at what I found at Pinkberry:




Thats right, a plastic barrel man. He hangs out in his little white cup and you take him out and bam! I couldn't believe it!! I looked at the description of it, and its supposed to be a
cotton ball holder. are you kidding me? Why ever, is there a need for that...that... there for a cotton ball holder? Oh my, what is the world coming to?

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHAHAH i reallly appreciated that.
    but it might be because im part filipino.
    also you have a wrong 'your' in there - please fix it so i can still be your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahahahaha!!! That is SO GREAT.

    ReplyDelete