Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Cupcakin


Okay so I'm on a culinary quest to try out all the cupcake places in san diego. First up: BabyCakes in hillcrest.

Oj and I came in today and its such a cute place. Open patio, rooms that open up to the outdoors, tons of tables and comfy chairs and couches, a wine bar, a fireplace, crystal chandelier, and free wi-fi for customers.

And now on to the cupcakes. There were maybe 6 choices when we came in: mocha, choc raspberry, vanilla rasberry, choc peanut butter, black forest and pomegrante. I came in looking for a red velvet, but settled on the pomegrante after the sales assoc swore it was good. But I figure what the heck bc where else am I going to get a pomegrante cupcake? Oj gets the vanilla raspberry. Apparently they also have red velvet, and blood orange-- which was our sales guys favorite. That's definitely unique.

My cupcake was a good size and very moist. I usually shun frosting but this cupcake had the perfect amount and its not too sweet and not at all thick to the point of being overwhelming. I thought the cupcake would be somewhat tart but it wasn't at all. A blend of green tea, pomegrante and raspberry tea, it was surprisingly mild in flavor. I actually didn't pick up too much on any of these flavors.


Ojs was a good moist vanilla cupcake with raspberry filling. Both came with a carmel and what I think was white choc drizzle on the plate.

The verdict: love the place, cupcakes are moist and not sickening sweet (which I can appreciate), the regular cupcakes are good but not extraordinary, and I'm holding out on tasting the blood orange before commenting if their special varieties are something special.

No comments:

Post a Comment