Wednesday, April 7, 2010

kismet

I just realized that I have yet to account for perhaps one of the more memorable moments of the whole of my existence (oh yeah, I'm taking this blog post to that level of dramatic flair): the meeting between myself and theWesleyChan.

but first, some background.

who he is: one-third of Wong Fu Productions, a small independent production company.
what he does: He writes, directs, edits, and occasionally acts in short films, music videos, and mockumentaries. Wong Fu employs social networks and websites to promote their work, most notably YouTube. He also designs T-shirts for their clothing brand, areyouaniceguy.com.
why I love him: What's not to love? he's a talented and driven individual. I'm seriously not kidding when I say that seeing someone with a passion, and watching them as they pursue that passion to the end is just so gosh darn attractive. people don't give enough credit to that quality in a person. but respect and admiration go a long way. much longer than looks or the vigor of youth.

I've watched many (all?) of their videos on youtube and have grown to like them a lot. I follow wong fu on twitter. I check their website. I am part of their official group on facebook. Oh yes, I like them very much so.

So how happy was I when I found out that they were coming to San Diego on 4.3.2010 as part of their Spring speaking tour on college campuses. No, they weren't going to be at SDSU, but UCSD is just as good (and their alma mater). Only wait, what's this? They are going to be the keynote speakers of a Intercollegiate Taiwanese American Students Association event. And you had to buy tickets because it was a hosted dinner. Just my luck that I am not Taiwanese and certainly can't pass for being so, I don't attend UCSD, and sorry, but the $50 event ticket is just not something I am willing to pay. So what's a girl to do?

That's right. Crash it baby!

The good news is that the event was being held at a restaurant, Jasmine, in Clairemont. I called a few days earlier and tried to make reservations to see if we could at least get in the same building as them. What do you know, they take my reservations. Looks like I'd be meeting Wong Fu afterall.

The restaurant was partitioned by retractable walls to designate the normal eating area, and the private event. We sat on the other side of the wall, eavesdropping like crazy to try and figure what was going on. And honestly, I was so, so nervous and giddy with excitement and anticipation of whether or not my friends and I could actually pull this off.

My heart swelled the moment I heard my wesley's voice come through the speakers. I think for the whole hour + that we were there, I couldn't wipe the smile from my face if I had tried.

The event ended, and now people were just mulling around waiting in line to take pictures with the guys. My rebel friends, Jazmine and Rachel (bless them), boldly pushed through the door to enter the private event, and I followed. No one said anything to us about it, and we didn't care.

Seeing my wesley in the flesh just about floored me. I honestly don't know how I got through the night.

It was a mad blur of nervous laughter, intense awareness, and eager eager anticipation. My knees were knocking into one another as I got closer to them. Next in line, I awkwardly pushed my way forward. Taking a position next to wesley. I ended up with a solo picture with the wong fu boys after some quick thinking and my selfish reflexives (sorry rachel for pushing you away!).

In the moment, I was trying to remember and savor all these little things about him. what he was wearing, the brands he was wearing, how close he was to me at all times, how much taller he was than me, the feel of his hand as he shook mine, the way he said my name, even the freaking body heat radiating off of him.

Yeah, I'm that creepy.

The night ended with more pictures, another missed encounter at boba, and laughing it up with the girls. such a good night.

Can't wait for it to happen again May 8 in LA!!! ; )

2 comments:

  1. You forgot this part: "I think for the whole hour + AFTER that we were there, I couldn't wipe the smile from my face if I had tried." (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, so that's who this guy is :)

    BTW, did you know kismet is a Turkish word? Of course I would know that.

    ReplyDelete